Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On the bookshelf

I grew up in a small town with a small library.  I went from the public school with a library to a small Christian school without a library.  My reading world shrank somewhat at that time.  Then, I got a job.  Then, I went off to college where the only things I had time to read were textbooks and assigned reading.  

From college, I entered the real world with more work than I ever could have imagined.  Reading was something I could only dream of.  The kids came and I began reading.  You know the books I mean.  Hop on  Pop and If You Take a Mouse to the Movies and such things.

Then the kids began going to school and I realized I had a bit of time to read.  These days, you will rarely find me without two or three books going at a time.

So, what do I have going?

A Tale of Two Cities is one of my all-time favorites.  I have it downloaded on Nook so that it's easy to carry around.  On iBooks, I have War of the Worlds which I've never read before.  I also have A Journey to the Center of the Earth that I'm reading aloud to the kids.


Two other books sitting close by but not receiving as much attention are Lord, Heal My Hurts by Kay Arthur, and What's So Amazing about Grace by Phillip Yancey.


All of these books, I recommend.  I will admit that I am having a hard time with the Yancey book.  I can't read without tears.  God's grace is a marvelous thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment