Sunday, June 19, 2011

One of the greatest moments of my life

On June 11, 2011, Rod and Mike tested for black belt, first dan.  I knew Rod's test would be a breeze.  I was very apprehensive about Mike's testing.  The testing judges divided the testers into 6 groups.  Three groups were current black belts looking to receive their next dan.  The first test was forms.  When Mike's group was finished, they were called to attention and Chief Master Shin asked them how many were nervous.  Five or six little ones raised their hands.  I was completely focused on Mike and his errors, so when CM Shin asked that question, I breathed a sigh of relief.  Many of them must have been making silly errors.


Board breaking was my next concern.  He had to break the boards this time.  For his power break, he set his holder into position and then stepped back.  He stepped back some more.  He stepped back some more.  I sat in seat next to the black belt who has spent a lot of time working with Mike.  I looked at her and said, "He's too far."  She nodded.  I began an attempt at some type of mother to son psychic communication.  "You are too far away, Mike.  You are too far."  Then, I gave a cry of a prayer, "Lord, he's too far away!"  Don't you know, that that boy scooted forward about 2.5 feet.  He got himself into a good board-breaking position.  Do you mind if I say that an angel pushed him?


The following Monday, Mike came running in from taekwondo shouting, "I'm home!"  Now, just so you know, he never does that.  He likes to come in quite inconspicuously so that he doesn't have to share his Slurpee.  Then, he came around the corner with a brand new do bok and a beautiful black belt.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Good for Mikey (well, Rod too). :-) He must be so excited.

    ReplyDelete