Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Apologies

I think we should take a moment and understand what an apology looks like when it constitutes true sorrow over an act.  I have been seeing a lot of apologies fly around that make a mockery of repentance.


An apology that is truly meant is an apology that says, "I offended you when I(________).  I am so sorry that I came across/acted out so badly."   An apology that smells of truth owns the offense and humbly admits it to the person offended.


Unfortunately, too many apologies I have heard in the last 5 years go along the lines of, "I'm sorry you took what I said/did the wrong way.  You misunderstood me." When your apology makes you the victim, you have not apologized; you have made the offended person the person who is wrong for being offended.


Matthew 18:7 says, "Woe unto the world because of offenses! for it must needs be that offenses come; but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh!"


People are going to be offended, but Christ did not pronounce woe upon the offended; He proclaimed woe unto the offender.  If you know you have offended someone, make it right.  Just admit the person was offended and be sorry--truly sorry-- that you offended them.  It doesn't matter how silly it was.  Maybe the offended person was having a bad day; maybe you said something without knowing some of their history and you touched a sore spot.  It isn't that person's fault for being offended.  


We need to get over ourselves and take care of the offended instead of blaming them for being offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment