Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What I am reading

Sarah and I just finished Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink today.  I knew she'd love Caddie because Caddie was a tomboy. I was not mistaken. Also, now I can go around quoting, "If at first you don't fricassee, fry fry a hen" and get a proper response.

I have a lot of non-fiction going.

The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Schlaes has been very engaging. I've got it all marked up with notes and questions for further research. It is very well-written and easy to follow.

The Communist Manifesto and Other Revolutionary Writings, edited by  Blaisdel is just what it says it is--a collection of writings by the "revolutionaries." I started this one a long time ago and the Schlaes book got me interested in reading it again. It's a little more time consuming than Schlaes' book, but honestly, it's a book worth reading. How can you know what these men said if you don't read them?

I am re-reading my volume of Emily Dickinson poems and I am re-reading A Tale of Two Cities. With every re-reading of Two Cities, I find I have forgotten so many details. Also, Madame Defarge gets creepier.

I have a couple of others that I've put aside because they are not nearly as engaging as The Forgotten Man. It's a bit odd to say that I've put aside fiction for non-fiction. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss reading. I need to get some sort of normal back to my life so I can start again.

    ReplyDelete