Monday, April 13, 2015

When Reading Leads to Learning

I was recently feeling curious about the Potato Famine and so began to read about it. One name kept appearing, Charles Trevelyan. I couldn't decide whether he was a good guy or a bad guy or whether he fell somewhere else along the line. He could have been misguided or he may have been utterly self-seeking. I began looking for information about him. What I found was precious little. I had to settle on a biographical account written by a Trevelyan. I guess William Manchester didn't feel that this family was worth noting.

Now, I'm not too far in to the biography but it's caused me to research other aspects like, for instance, The Clapham Sect. I've also got written down to read about Malthus. I think that I may not need to finish the biography because after I research those two aspects, I'll have an extremely fair ruler by which to judge the way he handled the famine. At least, I believe so because from what little I've read about both at this point can only merge into the reasoning behind his actions.

Reading non-fiction isn't easy; it always leads to needing to read about something else. Reading fiction is easy. But, reading non-fiction can be highly rewarding and it doesn't have to be school, either.  It can just be fun to learn something new. Or to remember what you once knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment